Donate Via Paypal Or Bitcoin 1KDMja8Jwf2E42zp7KoK6ypmT5c36yNx7E

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When dollar collapse, what do we do with silver?
02-28-2012, 01:30 AM
When dollar collapse, what do we do with silver?
Brother John,
Sorry for my ignorance, I just like to ask, should the dollar collapse, what do we do with the silver we own. I doubt anyone will want to sell them into US dollars. Do we sell the silver into yuan, AUD and then use the money to buy undervalue assets? What is your advice?

Download free Android App to spread message of liberty- Quotes by Ron Paul & Founders

www.airplane-collectible.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2012, 01:37 AM
RE: When dollar collapse, what do we do with silver?
If the dollar collapses without another currency being introduced that people have faith in, a system of barter will temporarely take hold. Silver and gold(for large purchases) will naturally fill the void of the collapsed dollar as the months go by.
02-28-2012, 01:42 AM
i believe its still too early to know for sure, depends what happens, but im sure guys like brother john and chris duane will be covering that when the time comes...
(02-28-2012 01:30 AM)goldsilver Wrote:  Brother John,
Sorry for my ignorance, I just like to ask, should the dollar collapse, what do we do with the silver we own. I doubt anyone will want to sell them into US dollars. Do we sell the silver into yuan, AUD and then use the money to buy undervalue assets? What is your advice?
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Smile RE: When dollar collapse, what do we do with silver?
(02-28-2012 01:30 AM)goldsilver Wrote:  Brother John,

This question is not ignorant, it is actually a question we all have. The issue here is that there really is no one right answer. These are unprecedented times we are going through so history may not be the best indicator of what to expect in the future, although it does help.

My game-plan for my physical position is to trade it for land in a rural, non developed area. Hopefully by the time I am ready to make the trade, land owners will accept gold and silver as payment for property, but the reality of the matter is that most probably wont. What you do in this situation is sell your bullion in bulk to a buyer, say Tulving or silvergold.com, then with the money immediately put it into another hard asset.

These are just my thoughts and I'm very interested in what Bro-John has to say.

2013 Silver Predictions & Valuable Silver Investing Information @ http://DailySilverUpdate.com
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
I addressed this question in my office series 4:

BrotherJohnF - Silver For The People

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/BrotherJohnF
The Blog http://www.brotherjohnf.com/
02-28-2012, 02:10 AM
(02-28-2012 01:58 AM)brotherjohnf Wrote:  I addressed this question in my office series 4:

Such an informative series. Thanks Bro-John

2013 Silver Predictions & Valuable Silver Investing Information @ http://DailySilverUpdate.com
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
when they kill the dollar i'll be driving a different ferrari every day of the week, were all gonna be rock stars.
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Haha if only. As bad as it sounds, even though we are all stacking physical, most of us will not come out on top. Think about it, majority of us on here would've sold at 1 million reichsmarks & would have missed out on the 99% gain that followed. The best thing for me is to stack low, sell a bit high, restack more when the price goes down, sell a little more when the price goes up, all with my physical.

Honestly manipulation could smack this thing back down two or three more times, but all these smackdowns are doing is creating more time for us to stack and creating a larger breakout above $50.

I can't wait for silver to breakout over $50 but I would much rather it happen in 2 years from now than in 2 months. I HOPE SILVER GOES DOWN!!!

(02-28-2012 02:11 PM)97guns Wrote:  when they kill the dollar i'll be driving a different ferrari every day of the week, were all gonna be rock stars.

02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
The dollar will collapse yes but it won't disappear, you need to study history a bit. Our currency has changed roughly ever 40 years. That will be what happens, the big question is will it be changed into a sound fiscal plan or another ponzi scheme, which the establishment wants the latter. Having silver or gold is a way to protect yourself from inflation, because I am sure we all know that holding fiat currency during a collapse will get you know where and will make you end up dead broke. The silver we have stacked will hopefully be able to be transferred into a new currency system that is backed by silver and gold, that way we end up with the wealth. Transfer of wealth y'all that's what we will do with our silver.
02-28-2012, 04:19 PM
We will eat our silver to survive.

Leges humanae nascuntur, vivunt, moriuntur.
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2012 06:17 PM by harbl_the_cat.)
I would sell a little bit of silver for $5,000,000/oz provided within the next 2 minutes I could buy gold for $100,000,000/oz or less.

Really though, I think the best thing to do if there's a dollar collapse but maintenance of rule of law is to know a good realtor and lawyer and start cruising around for real estate listings from fools who didn't own any precious metals and who had over extended themselves with variable rate mortgages.

IIRC, a common practice of governments/banks who hyperinflate their currency is to try to jack up interest rates to attempt to regain control. It never works but when they do that, the monthly payments on Joe "half a million dollar" McMansion's go up at a much higher rate than his salary will and you probably will find lots of motivated sellers.

A dollar collapse and a break down in the rule of law?

Well... all bets are off and for a short while, lead, steel, and copper are metals you probably will want to own. After that, things will return to normal and by normal, I mean people will use gold and silver as legal tender and those who stocked up before hand will have preserved and in all probability, multiplied their wealth.

Just an uneducated guess - any thoughts?

May the best pet win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Ltv9fjVe4
03-01-2012, 06:01 AM
I see some advocating purchasing real estate and farmland. Personally, I don't see it as a good trade.
If there is still a government, they can simply tax it at 100% and break your back.
If there is no government, you will have to stand armed guard over your real estate. Every hungry person will be drawn to your farmland looking for something to eat. They will kill you to get it.
Use your metal hoard for barter, but don't be surprised if no one will trade you beans for silver or gold. You may have to kill them to get their beans.

pops
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 01:51 PM by harbl_the_cat.)
(03-01-2012 06:01 AM)pops Wrote:  I see some advocating purchasing real estate and farmland. Personally, I don't see it as a good trade.
If there is still a government, they can simply tax it at 100% and break your back.

Respectfully;

This is true to a point, which is why I wouldn't advocate trading ALL your metal for real estate or land. If it ever gets to that point you describe, I would much rather use my precious metals to try to buy my family a ticket to a safer country.

Also, for real estate, I think the best strategy is to collatoralize it (mortgage it), transfer it to a corporation and generate cashflow off it. If you can buy a rental property free and clear (as I believe you will be able to with silver), the government will have to repeal a LOT of long standing laws to outright confiscate it, including laws that they benefit from.

If the government ever tries to confiscate it, simple default on the loan and give the title to the property to the bank. If you had mortgaged it, you should have gotten back most/all of your equity AND have generated cashflow from rental income.

Do you REALLY think if the government still exists, that they will forcefully take assets from the banks? The two, I feel, are mutual exclusive. There will be no government (as we understand it) with no banks to loan out government decreed currency

Quote:If there is no government, you will have to stand armed guard over your real estate. Every hungry person will be drawn to your farmland looking for something to eat. They will kill you to get it.

In that scenario, for the first little while, that probably will be partially true. I have no delusion that here will be many nasty people in such a scenario, but I also am not so pessimistic to believe that there will not be some (or enough) people who down on their luck, will still have some moral guide to keep them from murder and thievery.

It's these people you, with wealth preserved, should trade with or employ. If you are in possession of land/real estate/food - there undoubtedly will be people who would would gladly trade their labour either to contribute to your personal defence or to use assets you have, in exchange for life essential they lack. I think it's foolish to adopt a "last man on earth" bunker mentality as you'll never be able to survive on your own, no matter how self sufficient you think you are.

I'd rather be prepared for both scenarios though: to ward off the evil ones, and trade with or be compassionate with the righteous. Possessing land, food, and wealth (and arms) puts one in a position of strength to negotiate with others who don't.

Quote:Use your metal hoard for barter, but don't be surprised if no one will trade you beans for silver or gold. You may have to kill them to get their beans.

pops

That last part is out of the question. Also, the points I make surrounding real estate and land are based on the assumption that things haven't gotten so bad to the point where a complete barter system is in place. If you're holding PM's with the sole intention to barter with them after a currency collapse, I think you have the wrong idea.

You're much better off holding canned goods and ammunition in that regard.

Before it gets to that, precious metals should be used as a means to procure real assets that preserve and grow wealth, not you will use independently for your day to day survival.

May the best pet win!

03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I hold PMs only to work from a position of strength when the hub-bub dies down and some semblence of order returns...as shattered society begins to rebuild. Old paper will be worthless for anything but kindling.
As for morality, I expect to see very little while things are really bottoming out. I've seen what men (otherwise good men) are capable of when push comes to shove. Even a good man will subvert morality to feed his family. Therefore, every man approaching will best be dealt with an eye to "safe rather than sorry." History is replete with examples of good samaritans who've had their throats slit whilst attempting to do right by others. You and I owe our families their safety and well being FIRST. Blindly trusting non-family will be an act of betrayal of your own family if they suddenly don't have you looking after them.
When it's dog eat dog, I don't intend to be lunch.
03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
(03-01-2012 02:03 PM)pops Wrote:  I hold PMs only to work from a position of strength when the hub-bub dies down and some semblence of order returns...as shattered society begins to rebuild. Old paper will be worthless for anything but kindling.
As for morality, I expect to see very little while things are really bottoming out. I've seen what men (otherwise good men) are capable of when push comes to shove. Even a good man will subvert morality to feed his family. Therefore, every man approaching will best be dealt with an eye to "safe rather than sorry." History is replete with examples of good samaritans who've had their throats slit whilst attempting to do right by others. You and I owe our families their safety and well being FIRST. Blindly trusting non-family will be an act of betrayal of your own family if they suddenly don't have you looking after them.

That's a good plan too (I plan to do the same) regarding keeping PM's for after things start to recover.

However, if it's a dog-eat-dog world, I'd rather be a dog handler than a dog. This means being honest, fair, but also compassionate and charitable.

Absolutely my top priority is taking care of my own, but I also believe in charity even if it's at a distance, from behind cover, and at gun point. If you cannot be charitable with the less fortunate in bad times, you cannot be charitable at all.

If the world is ever going to recover from what I think we see as the imminent and unavoidable collapse, the only way a better world will emerge will be if those of us who were ready for it didn't lose the best side of our humanity in the process.

May the best pet win!

03-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Silver coins will be the new money. You will buy things that you need, like food, TP, ammo, water, chickens, etc. Hell, a washington quarter will get you a day or two's worth of food at a farmers market.
03-04-2012, 02:19 AM
(03-01-2012 06:06 PM)harbl_the_cat Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 02:03 PM)pops Wrote:  I hold PMs only to work from a position of strength when the hub-bub dies down and some semblence of order returns...as shattered society begins to rebuild. Old paper will be worthless for anything but kindling.

That's a good plan too (I plan to do the same) regarding keeping PM's for after things start to recover.

However, if it's a dog-eat-dog world, I'd rather be a dog handler than a dog. This means being honest, fair, but also compassionate and charitable.

Absolutely my top priority is taking care of my own, but I also believe in charity even if it's at a distance, from behind cover, and at gun point. If you cannot be charitable with the less fortunate in bad times, you cannot be charitable at all.

If the world is ever going to recover from what I think we see as the imminent and unavoidable collapse, the only way a better world will emerge will be if those of us who were ready for it didn't lose the best side of our humanity in the process.

I agree with Harbl.

We are living in a dog eat dog world now anyway. It is dog eat dog in business, politics, etc. It is selfishness that creates this dog eat dog world and everyone is selfish today. The current dog eat dog world will turn into Mad Max world if selfish people get hungry.

I believe we should get together and help each other out in any crisis. That way more people will survive and when dust settles, recovery will be quicker.

If you are hungry, humble yourself and ask nicely. If you are asked for food, be generous and give what you can afford to give and you will find yourself a new friend.

Of course you should be careful of people pretending to beg for help and kill you later to take everything from you like what Pops said. Just do it with caution.
03-04-2012, 12:27 PM
If you look in the United States right now 12 States have emergency collapse plans in place that allow for silver and gold to be used as money for the purchase of goods. I would expect as this crisis continues there will be more states within the US following this thinking. Hold your stash and see where it goes, then you have to decide what to do.
03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
(03-03-2012 03:41 PM)silverexplosion Wrote:  Silver coins will be the new money. You will buy things that you need, like food, TP, ammo, water, chickens, etc. Hell, a washington quarter will get you a day or two's worth of food at a farmers market.

history may repeat itself but we will not go back in time, technological advances will still be made, electronics will still be around, it is like people think that we will revert to the early 1800's. I like to think of it as we will weed out all the junk we don't need and keep the things that matter around, we will not be using silver and gold to make purchases, rather using a debit card/money that is backed by the gold and silver we all own, the people that don't own any will still have to work to obtain there money, yet it will be sound money backed by gold and silver. David Morgan's company has come out with a bank where you can deposit your gold/silver and put yourself on the gold standard right now. I would compare it to like what you see in something like star trek, where they have all this technological advanced equipment with none of the nonsense they don't need, there is no consumerism or over abundance of materialism, that is where I think it is headed. Even with the dollar failing and people going crazy, I don't see us slipping into whatever post apocalyptic movie scene you can think of. The buildings will still stand, the world will still be here, it just won't be the world we have come to know, but the world we are coming to discover.
03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
(02-28-2012 01:58 AM)brotherjohnf Wrote:  I addressed this question in my office series 4:

I lost my metals the same way... Quite strange and unfortunate accident it was. I was lucky to not physically hurt myself when the boat capsized.
03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Cant we all agree to just use our copper coins to barter the absolute needs, foods, clothing etc.. Big Grin
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
There may be many options available to trade for silver, all with their own risks and benifits. Since the ratio of gold to silver is historically high, one option may be to convert silver back into gold. If the ratio is less than one to one, this will allow you to reduce the weight you have invested in precious metals and also might help eliminate some of the price volitility that is associated with silver.
03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Remember the day is coming when it's not the price of silver, it's the price in silver.
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm going to do (within reason) what the rest of the world does. I'm hoping to hand the PMs down to my kidlings, but I guess time will tell how it all plays out.

No Ferrari's for me. I have reached a point in my life where I have seen as much of the world as I ever dreamed of seeing, and have owned pretty much everything I've ever dreamed of owning. When I look around me now, all I see are things that hold little value to me. They are like an albatross, because they tie me down. If I didn't have a house and all the numerous odds and ends it now contains, I would be out of New York tomorrow. Instead, I have to downsize, organize, sell and plan, investing energy that I would much rather be investing in planting a garden, or being near family. That's just me, though... my priorities have shifted to quality of life over quantity of possessions.