(03-02-2012 06:36 PM)Chin Music Wrote:
(03-02-2012 01:28 PM)harbl_the_cat Wrote: Thanks to you Chin Music for starting this thread!
I love discussing the scripture with others (both believers and non).
I still have a hard time saying I'm a "Christian," given that there is so much controversy associated with some who claim to be "Christians." The mark of a real "Christian," I believe is in their understanding that their salvation is a personally realized truth revealed to them by the Holy Spirit - not beat into them by over zealous, Bible thumping, bullies.
First let me say you are welcome regarding the start of this thread but thank you for taking the time to share. I value greatly what you have and look forward to more sharing between us as this, I believe, is how we grow in Christ. It is my hope that others who are in Christ join us. I hope they would understand that it’s not how mature you are in Christ that is important here. That they are a part of the body of Christ is what matters. I would encourage them to share what they have as I count it as important for you, me and them.
I’m sure you noticed I copied what you said from one of your earlier posts concerning that it troubles you to call yourself a Christian because of what I consider to be solid reasons. Dear one in Christ at one time I felt the same but now I wear the badge with much appreciation. What you say is true but not true of all. Is it true of you and I? I would say no. I looked through scripture to find that this problem also plagued the early church. Consider the following ….
1 John 2:17-20 (ISV)
(17) And the world and its desires are fading away, but the person who does God’s will remains forever. (18) Little children, it is the last hour. Just as you heard that an antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. This is how we know it is the last hour. (19) They left us, but they were not part of us. For if they had been part of us, they would have stayed with us. They simply made it clear that none of them was really part of us. (20) You have an anointing from the Holy One and know all things.
Romans 16:17-20 (ISV)
(17) Now I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who create divisions and sinful enticements in opposition to the teaching you have learned. Stay away from them! (18) For such people are not serving Christ our Lord but their own desires. By their smooth talk and flattering words they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. (19) For your obedience has become known to everyone, and I am full of joy for you. But I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil. (20) The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
2 Corinthians 11:1-15 (ISV)
(1) I wish you would put up with a little foolishness of mine. Yes, do put up with me! (2) I am jealous of you with God’s own jealousy, because I promised you in marriage to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ. (3) However, I am afraid that just as the serpent deceived Eve by its tricks, so your minds may somehow be lured away from sincere and pure devotion to Christ. (4) For if someone comes along and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or should you receive a different spirit from the one you received or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you are all too willing to listen. (5) I do not think I’m inferior in any way to those “super-apostles.” (6) Even though I may be untrained as an orator, I am not so in the field of knowledge. We have made this clear to all of you in every possible way.
(7) Did I commit a sin when I humbled myself by proclaiming to you the gospel of God free of charge, so that you could be exalted? (8) I robbed other churches by accepting support from them in order to serve you. (9) When I was with you and needed something, I did not bother any of you, because our brothers who came from Macedonia supplied everything I needed. I kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and I will continue to do so.
(10) As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, my boasting will not be silenced in the regions of Achaia. (11) Why? Because I do not love you? God knows that I do!
(12) But I will go on doing what I’m doing in order to deny an opportunity to those people who want an opportunity to be recognized as our equals in the work they are boasting about. (13) Such people are false apostles, dishonest workers who are masquerading as apostles of Christ. (14) And no wonder, since Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. (15) So it is not surprising if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their doom will match their deeds!
We can’t escape this just as Christians are still persecuted around the world. We know we are not greater than the Master. If He was persecuted then we will be also. If the early church was polluted with those who did not walk in the full truth then we will be also. You appear to be one who desires to walk in His fullness. For this you are to be commended. Take care of all that is around you and do not take shame in those who are not of us. Let your light shine right where you are.
Grace and Peace
Thank you for your reply, Chin Music.
Honestly, I would say I'm quite new in my walk with Christ. I can't pinpoint the exact day I realized his Grace, but I know for certain I was absolutely lost until February 2009.
I am a deeply analytical person and though I have analysed and mediated on the scriptures I read, I do consider myself "immature" in my walk with Christ.
Without a doubt I believe unequivocally that "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. That said,
Being so new and coming from a life devoid of grace, I back track and deny Christ, as Peter did - if not in word, than certainly in action. I'm growing in faith and fellowship which is why I'm so glad BJF started this community.
One of the biggest difficulty I've had is just that - community. I look forward to more discussion though and hopefully a growing community who is IN Christ.